Books

An Update On The Book Hoard

27th November 2018

I’ve read a few things about book hoarding recently. There’s even a Japanese word for it.

I love books. I have triple-stacked shelves lining two living-room walls, a stack on my Grandmother’s mail table that now lives in my kitchen, and two stacks on my own kitchen table. There’s a bunch in my bedroom I should be reading, and 852 books on my Kindle.

I don’t have a problem.

OK, I do. Time to read them. I should make more time to read.

Here’s a list of books I’m currently reading. For real. With train tickets as bookmarks and everything. The links are Amazon affiliate links, I make a small commission if you make a US or UK purchase through them. Read my disclosure here.

I read quicker when I promise to send my best bookish friends copies of books after I read them. And then we y’know, took about them.

I even have a global book group happening. The current read for that is Escape From Mr Lemoncello’s Library, which also happens to be Isla’s current bedtime story. Funny how that works.

And I asked my bookish husband for two books this year, even though we are planning to move and don’t need any more stuff to y’know, move.

But my the two books on my Christmas list are Becoming and I’ll Be There For You: The ultimate book for Friends fans everywhere.

I kinda already have those, too. But I won’t tell if you don’t.

What are you reading?

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 27th November 2018 at 6:54 pm

If I weren’t nomadic I would have just as many books. Before I moved to Qatar, I got rid of over 200 books! I just finished Unsub last night. I am also reading The Greek Islands by Lawrence Durrell and a book called Rest. I can remember the author.

• Reply johnrieber 27th November 2018 at 6:55 pm

I have books as well….hundreds and hundreds….and yes, I’ve started to download them as well but still seem to love to hold a real thing in my hand to read…now reading “The Girl In The Spider’s Web” – the latest “Dragon Tattoo” book, since the film was just released…next up a couple of non-fiction books Im eager to dig into, and will post as well because the stories behind the books are fascinating as well!

• Reply Ritu 27th November 2018 at 7:15 pm

I have too many books… And just found the joy of NetGalley where you can get free arc books to review!!!

• Reply Lorna 27th November 2018 at 7:22 pm

Oh yeah, I use Netgalley, too. :/

• Reply Ritu 27th November 2018 at 7:24 pm

So many books!!! Piled high!!!

• Reply thelupiemomma 27th November 2018 at 9:54 pm

I just finished a book called Misadventures of the City Girl. I’m about to pick another book

• Reply becomingcliche 27th November 2018 at 11:42 pm

I’m reading Neurotribes, which is an awesome take on autism.

• Reply angelanoelauthor 28th November 2018 at 12:43 am

Hi Lorna! On our recent trip to Iceland we stayed at an AirBnB place brimming with books. So many good ones (and music too) that I think I may have fallen a little in love with the guy who owns the place. There is just something about a snug little home with walls lined by classics and modern titles alike. Iceland, I believe, has more authors per capita than any other country—great readers and writers in that frozen land.
    But you didn’t ask about Iceland, you asked about my current reading list. Well, I’m readin Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty. And a book about Buddhism. Interesting stuff.
    Books are the best.

• Reply Lorna 28th November 2018 at 8:49 am

I LOVE LIANE. My favorite is Big Little Lies, but couldn’t get into Truly, Madly, Guilty. I’m loving Nine Perfect Strangers, her new one about a wellness center.

• Reply angelanoelauthor 28th November 2018 at 12:48 pm

I’m reading Truly, Madly as part of my bookclub. It’s actually the first of Liane’s books I’ve read. I saw the HBO miniseries on Big Little Lies though. It was great.

• Reply Lorna 28th November 2018 at 1:11 pm

The book is better.

• Reply Popping Wheelies 28th November 2018 at 2:23 am

So many books, so little time. And blogs to read. A friend asked, “Did you see…? Oh, you don’t watch TV.” So many books…

• Reply Lorna 28th November 2018 at 8:45 am

I watch TV too, but mostly crime documentaries, so kinda like books, ha!

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 29th November 2018 at 3:55 pm

Reading poetry at the moment and hoping to woo the Ohio Poet Laureate to grant me an interview for my blog, which would be cool! Need to get back to researching for my Finnish story… So many books!

• Reply gemmaorton 29th November 2018 at 4:15 pm

I’ve just finished reading The Rules Of Magic. Finished better than it started.
    No, I’ve never seen Practical Magic.

• Reply Lorna 29th November 2018 at 4:46 pm

That was a book, too. That time I loved the book AND the movie.

• Reply gemmaorton 2nd December 2018 at 12:54 pm

I’ll be reading the book first, soon.

• Reply ArestlessTraveler 7th December 2018 at 10:03 pm

When I started travelling one of the hardest things I had to do was give my books away. And I only managed it because I had a kindle I knew would allow me to read anything i wanted wherever i was. I don’t think i could travel as much if Kindles didn’t exist.
    Though I must admit that lately I haven’t been reading much….