Uncategorized

How To Have A Really Bad Cold

8th March 2011

I’ve never been a good stuffed up person.  I’ve never liked taking naps, ask my parents.  The last time I slept during the during the day, I’d had all my wisdom teeth out the day before.

Last week, my body was gearing up for my annual cold, and this week it has lashed out.

While I had a towel over my head just above hot water this afternoon, I put together a list of things to do when you don’t do colds:

1. Have your partner/friends bring you cold medicine/cheesecake/tiramisu, without asking them.

2. Call your Dad and say: I have a code in my noeds, and laugh until you lose what little voice you have left.

3. Camp out on the couch, and pretend your Grandma is sitting on the other end of it and your Nana is making you chicken soup in your kitchen.

4. Ration your TV watching, but always make time to watch people yell at other people.

5. Put vanilla essence in your tea, and socks on your feet.  The uglier the better.

6. Listen to your go-to music (for me that would be country).  If you cry at the sad songs, blame the cold.

7. Read entire books in four-hour jags.

8. Look forward to times you won’t have a cold.  Do little things on your to-do list, so you don’t feel like a waster.

9. Take a stroll to shake off the cobwebs.  Thank you, gale-force winds.

10. Take funny photos to cheer yourself up.

• Reply MutantSupermodel 8th March 2011 at 4:20 pm

Feel better! I’m awful when sick, cranky and stubborn and indignant. 🙂

• Reply LKD 8th March 2011 at 5:13 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 8th March 2011 at 4:46 pm

Gosh, you make this cold thing sound like fun. I know it’s not and I hope you feel better soon!

• Reply LKD 8th March 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thank you, Hipster! Fun to write about, at least! 🙂

• Reply Marjory 8th March 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love this list and intend to adhere to most of it the next time I have a cold, which is, admittedly, very rare.

But if I might put on my “professional singer” chapeau and be boringly serious for just a moment… Although things like tiramisu and cheesecake may be comforting, dairy in general promotes (sorry to be gross) phlegm and mucus – two of the last things you want to encourage when you are trying to fight the same. I can think of many other comfort foods/beverages which might work as well – pretty much anything containing alcohol – if you’re not taking medication.

Just my dos pesos…

• Reply LKD 8th March 2011 at 5:26 pm

Oh, I know, that’s why I’m a bad sick person. 😉 I’ve only had one dessert thing since I got worse. Tend to wash everthing with lots of water, and hope that cancels out the bad stuff. 🙂

Thank you!

• Reply Pizza Cottontail 8th March 2011 at 5:16 pm

Also: Learn to love the crazy semi-dreams that cold medicine bestows.

Feel better!

• Reply LKD 8th March 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yep, I forgot #11. Write a bunch of cold drug-induced prose!

Thank you!

• Reply Carol 8th March 2011 at 6:24 pm

Warm up some orange juice, put a cinnamon stick in the cup with the warm juice, sit back with your feet up and pretend you’re on a tropical beach lolling in the sun with a fancy alcoholic drink. This might require closing the eyes.

• Reply misty 8th March 2011 at 9:42 pm

#1 made me giggle.. have them do so, without asking… funny…

when I am sick i always curl up on the couch and sleep/watch tv. later i realize all of the things (reading, little things, music, etc.) that I could have done… this is a great list.

• Reply Anneloes 12th March 2011 at 9:29 am

I love lists and I think your blog is great – I’ll be sure to remember your ‘how-to’ when I find myself in bed with a cold.

• Reply LKD 14th March 2011 at 8:29 pm

Thank you, and thanks for reading!

• Reply broadsideblog 13th March 2011 at 3:09 am

I hope you’re feeling better! I have learned, from terrifying experience (landed in the hospital 4 years ago with pneumonia) to lie DOWN and rest when ill. It’s never a good idea to “tough it out.”

• Reply earlybird 13th March 2011 at 10:54 am

Love this list. Hope you are feeling MUCH better by now.

• Reply She.Is.Just.A.Rat 14th March 2011 at 7:50 pm

I have a number 11…catch up on your blog reading. Perhaps that’s what I’ve been waiting for…getting sick so I can get caught up on everyone! Yikes!

I’m also a big fan of the head under towel/over hot water. I often add a little bit of Vick’s Vapo Rub or something with eucalyptus into the hot water to enhance the healing effects of the steam. It’s like cheapy aromatherapy…

• Reply fairygodsister 22nd March 2011 at 11:18 pm

My mom taught us to use eucalyptus for colds (for almost everything) and I’ve found that it helps, especially when I use it with hot water…..
    Hope you feel better soon…

• Reply teamgo 23rd March 2011 at 2:57 am

lmao!! i would do this…if i ever get sick

• Reply Emily Jane 28th March 2011 at 10:43 am

Bah! I love being sick! It gives me an excuse to lay in bed and watch gossip girl all day long, drink 10 cups of tea a day, tell my boyfriend to bring me various things such as my 7th cup of tea, call my parents and complain while they’re at work, yell at random people from my window for being too lame and other fun activities you can blame on your raging fever…I’m definitely going to be stealing from your list though, thanks =]

• Reply frank rumbauskas never cold call again 19th May 2013 at 9:49 pm

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website
    yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks