Uncategorized

15 Reasons Why Every Day Is World Penguin Day

25th April 2012

Today is World Penguin Day.

Sarge loves penguins.  If he had a spirit animal, a brother or a higher power, they would all be penguins.  They are all penguins.

I have only just recently established that he loves me more than penguins.  Here are some reasons why that may be the greatest compliment I could ever receive.

15. When we first started dating, he gave me Death and the Penguin.  He called it Required Reading, and said if I didn’t like it; our relationship wouldn’t get very far.  I gave the book 5 stars.

14. Our travel mascot is called George Bailey-Penguin.  Sarge gave him to me for our first Christmas together, to ‘up your penguin/human ratio.’

13. Our favourite ‘Christmas Elf’ is called MC Penguin, he raps.

12. For Sarge’s birthday, I adopted a penguin from Edinburgh Zoo.  It was like Christmas in March.

11. For another birthday, I got him a bottle of BrewDog’s Tactical Nuclear Penguin.  We haven’t opened it yet.

10. I proposed with pebbles.

9. We made a special trip to the zoo to notify the penguins of our engagement.  They approved.

8. He thinks our wedding registry should be at Penguin Corner.

7. He’s asked if we could rent a penguin to be in the wedding.  But not really, because people who kidnap penguins make him sad.  He does want our 3-foot plastic penguin called Jemima to be involved somehow, though.

6. Our cake-topper will be a butterfly and a penguin and both will most likely make an appearance on the invitations.

5. He loves penguin books and Penguin Books.  Because they’re all penguins.

4. We have a print of 6 penguins lined up on our living room wall.  We call them our parents surrogate grandchildren.

3. When we do have kids, his favourite name for a girl is Penelope Gwyneth.  PenGwyn for short.

2. Sarge finds peace by looking at Edinburgh Zoo’s Penguin Cam.  He is very sad that some of the penguins have been shipped off and that the parade has been cancelled.  But we’ll both be excited when everyone is back in their new digs and everything is back to normal.

1. Sarge aspires to be Scotland’s answer to Belgium’s Mr Penguin.

How are you honouring your favourite penguin today?

Pygoscelis papua English: Gentoo Penguins at E...

Pygoscelis papua English: Gentoo Penguins at Edinburgh Zoo, Scotland. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

• Reply laurastanfill 25th April 2012 at 5:42 pm

What a fun list–and it makes me want to go to the zoo and say hi to the penguins. My friend’s husband adores monkeys and they used his monkey statue as a place to put the wedding guest book! It was the perfect touch.

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:34 pm

Wonderful guest book idea. Go hug a penguin and report back. 🙂

• Reply Marj 25th April 2012 at 5:47 pm

I am so getting your wedding gift from Penguin Corner! I’ve already bookmarked the website. And I volunteer to wear a penguin costume and serve as an usher!

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:29 pm

I’ll report all of that to the Groom. 🙂

• Reply urbannight 25th April 2012 at 5:54 pm

I will honor my favorite penguins by continueing to refuse to watch Mr. Popper’s Penguins as it butchered a beloved book of mine. How does turning a poor family man into a rich businessman who lives in a penthouse honor the book?

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:32 pm

The film’s well received in this house. That may change once the book is consumed!

• Reply urbannight 26th April 2012 at 4:24 am

I read it from a lovely OLD OLD copy of the book we found in a box of very old hardbacks in my friends basement when we were young. They had been her grandmother’s books.

• Reply barbarasmithstoff 25th April 2012 at 7:11 pm

this is beyond lovely and wonderful!!! I predict a long and loving life for the two of you…and hence radiating out to all those who are fortunate enough to know you!!! and penguins….wow…I remember my son’s letters about watching them from the deck of a ship in antartica…(scientific research of ocean deep core etc…but it was the penguins he loved) penguins are a very special meditation indeed;.
    –bss

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:40 pm

Sarge would love to count penguins in Antarctica! Tell me more about your son’s travels?!

• Reply barbarasmithstoff 25th April 2012 at 7:50 pm

He does r and d for deep ocean stuff…even gets to Scotland once or twice…will find out if there is another such trip and see if I can connect you up in Scotland! I just emailed him your blog entry! xoxoxo boie

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:55 pm

Cool! That would be great, and we want to do lunch with you guys sometime. Email me your postal address, please and thanks. Lorn xoxo

• Reply Heather 25th April 2012 at 7:31 pm

So cute. Gotta appreciate a man who will proudly admit a fondness for a certain type of animals. One of my male friends has a bit of an obsession with baby animals.
    PenGwyn…my favorite list item. Though Jemima at the wedding is a nice touch, too 🙂

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 7:48 pm

3 is my favourite, too!

• Reply becomingcliche 25th April 2012 at 8:28 pm

I think I may be able to lay my hands on the perfect wedding gift for the two of you. The penguins at our zoo paint. No, really.

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for thinking of us! I believe it. Do you think you could post a video of them painting?

I love your zoo stories!

• Reply becomingcliche 25th April 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’ll check with the keepers to see when they’re painting again. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind me taking a video!

• Reply LKD 25th April 2012 at 8:40 pm

Awesome!

• Hippie Cahier 25th April 2012 at 8:48 pm

I second that “awesome”!

• LKD 26th April 2012 at 10:26 am

I’m so happy when my posts start a conversation!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 25th April 2012 at 8:49 pm

I rather adore the idea of a penguin higher power, not to mention the idea that Sarge was attentive to your penguin to human ratio. 🙂

• Reply LKD 26th April 2012 at 10:31 am

He was balancing my penguin chi!

• Reply thoughtsappear 26th April 2012 at 12:21 am

I luuuuuve penguins! They’re always dressed up in little tuxs. Perfect for your wedding!

• Reply LKD 26th April 2012 at 10:21 am

Just add kilts!

• Reply The Blissful Adventurer 26th April 2012 at 1:46 am

My wife and I are enraptured with penguins! Love this

• Reply LKD 26th April 2012 at 10:24 am

I appreciate them more now than ever before. Ha! Glad you liked the list.

• Reply subtlekate 26th April 2012 at 2:43 am

They are amazing little beings.

• Reply LKD 26th April 2012 at 10:28 am

Cute, too!

• Reply anotherjennifer 28th April 2012 at 5:01 pm

This is awesome. I love the PenGwyn nickname and that you proposed with pebbles. One of our favorite movies in my house is Happy Feet. Yay for penguins!

• Reply LKD 30th April 2012 at 6:45 pm

It’s always nice to meet another penguin person!

• Reply barefoot_med_student 29th April 2012 at 12:21 am

Oh wow. I didn’t know there was such a thing as World Penguin Day. I’ve always been fascinated by penguins because my very first playschool was called “Little Penguins”. I don’t have a favourite animal, but if I did, penguins would be at the top of the list. Speaking of lists, this is a funny one!

• Reply LKD 30th April 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hey, thanks! I do like list posts!

• Reply butterflyangels 30th April 2012 at 1:58 pm

I just hopped over here from the SITS group, and yours is the first blog I liked enough to continue reading!!! Especially the proposal story!!! 🙂 I’m a follower now!

• Reply LKD 30th April 2012 at 6:47 pm

That makes me happy. Glad you are reading. I love butterflies!

• Reply barbarasmithstoff 30th April 2012 at 7:03 pm

I think penguins must be very important (and especially active right now) ‘leylines’ in consciousness on this planet!

• Reply Marika Josephson 24th May 2012 at 10:15 pm

Penguins are also one of my all time favorite animals. I have a flying penguin tattoo on my ankle! Who says penguins can’t fly??