Writing

A Month of Ginspiring Writing Prompts

26th September 2018

You guys know that Math isn’t my thing, but I just counted backwards, and I think this is my  (really our) fourth writing prompt post. They’ve been coined ginspiring writing prompts, and I find that um, entirely acceptable.

I posted the first prompt in the hopes of connecting with other writers and flexing my old writing muscles.

Lately, the only writing I’ve done is for blog posts. The best ones happen with a cup of coffee and something to say.

I hoped that setting the writing prompts would trick me into the writing zone. That place of automatic writing bliss when I know where the next word is coming from, where I don’t care about word count, because I’m not writing it, I’m living and breathing it.

Well, I know what I mean. Let me know if you do, too. Because we need more of that.

My head is so full of anxiety, permission slips, cartoon music, and other people’s bullshit, and I need writing space. This is it.

If you take the prompts and make magic in five minutes, I salute you. If you take a week, I salute you. If you haven’t joined in it, that’s cool, too. Because I’ve basically just used 200 words to say, again, that I haven’t used my own writing prompt.

Previous prompts are here, here, and here.

And this week, we have:

Miriam’s Green Fields of Home

Sonia’s Belfast

Ritu’s Travel Map

Deb’s short story

Kirsty’s travels

Dominique’s beautiful miles and miles and photos over here.

Alan’s world tour.

If I’ve missed anyone, feel free to leave your links in the comments!

This week has given me major bucket list vibes!

And for our next prompt I actually did some coffeeshop writing and people-watching recently, so.

Write about someone you see while people-watching. You could make it up, but it might be more fun if you didn’t.

As for me, I perhaps will take the four writing prompts this month, and use them in a bigger piece.

I hope this helps you get in the zone!

You can link throughout the week and the next roundup will be Wednesday, October 3rd.

For an update on this post and another month of writing prompts, check out 11 Writing Prompts.

Photo by Kris Atomic on Unsplash

• Reply Miriam Joy 26th September 2018 at 10:19 pm

Ooh, I have no idea how I’ll approach this one as I’m not what you’d call a big people-watcher, but I’ll see what I can do! They… may end up being fictional people. We’ll find out.

• Reply Lorna 26th September 2018 at 11:20 pm

Anything goes…

• Reply Alan 26th September 2018 at 10:46 pm

Here’s mine – https://theycallmetater.com/2018/09/19/how-far-ive-gone/

• Reply Lorna 26th September 2018 at 11:10 pm

Sorry! And you’ve been everywhere, too! On now.

• Reply Kkawashima 27th September 2018 at 5:43 am

Ohmigosh!! Somehow I missed the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th prompts… No wait, is this the 4th? Ummm… Maybe? So I’ve missed 2 (that sounds much better than 3 – remarkable how much difference on unit can make), and I feel horrible about it. I’m not even going to look at what they were though, because this one looks FUN!! I’m excited. This week’s prompt will surely coax my muse out of hiding! Woohoo!

• Reply Lorna 27th September 2018 at 11:01 am

This is the fourth, ha! Please don’t feel horrible, it’s supposed to be fun, and not stress-inducing. I’m glad this one works for you!

• Reply Ritu 27th September 2018 at 6:35 am

I’ll be back to read and write later!!!

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 27th September 2018 at 11:48 am

I have loved reading everyone’s responses to your prompts. I have had WONDERFUL intentions of writing my own,, and failed miserably. Please, keep them coming.

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 27th September 2018 at 12:23 pm

Yes! Wishing for everyone a good state of FLOW or two. Happy writing!

• Reply Watching and Waiting. | Retired? No one told me! 27th September 2018 at 5:06 pm

[…] to get my brain in gear so here goes… I have taken up the gauntlet thrown down by Lorna @ Gin and Lemonade…I myself prefer tonic with […]

• Reply ellenbest24 28th September 2018 at 10:18 pm

I am in with #Ginspiration I hope that’s right A ping back is on its way.

• Reply Gwen 28th September 2018 at 10:26 pm

Oh this looks like fun! I feel a trip to the coffee shop coming on. I love great writing prompts, looking forward to being part of yours!

• Reply Lorna 29th September 2018 at 10:30 am

Coffee shop trips are always the best! Glad you’ll be writing, Gwen! I was just reading your spooky Fall writing prompts. Lorna x

• Reply Anindya 29th September 2018 at 12:15 pm

Somehow I haven’t really got the hang of really how to take part in these writing prompts, so I am an absolute novice compared to all you experienced campaigners…….but keen to figure this out and give it a try….:)

• Reply Lorna 29th September 2018 at 12:27 pm

New post coming up in the week on ways to use prompts. But the short version is, you write, link to this post somewhere in yours, and I share it in the weekly roundup. Happy writing. 🙂

• Reply Anindya 29th September 2018 at 12:58 pm

Ok….thanks…:)

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 29th September 2018 at 1:04 pm

Don’t be to hard on yourself. I had plans to do writing prompts also and I have NO idea where September went. Neighbour reminded me of book club the next night and I said “NO, that is the last Monday of the month.” Well it the last Sunday so….. To a new month you rock.

• Reply Vidya Sury 29th September 2018 at 6:00 pm

Looking forward to joining you, Lorna. Is it ok to begin with the fourth prompt or is it better to catch the first three, as well? So happy to “meet” you! Cheers!
    (via Create If Writing on Facebook!)

• Reply Lorna 29th September 2018 at 6:08 pm

You can start with the fourth. Or which ever you feel. People just start where they are and I link to the piece that matches the current prompt. But you’ve given me an idea to keep the previous prompts ongoing, maybe. I feel a survey coming on, ha! Thank you!

• Reply Playing like children. – Ellenbest24 1st October 2018 at 8:32 am

[…] you Lorna #Ginspiration for the prompt. People Watching you or you people watching. Press HERE to join in or have a good read. Media pictures were from Pixabay.com with exception of the shovel […]

• Reply sarah9188 2nd October 2018 at 11:57 pm

Not sure I did it right this time so just in case here’s my link. 😄 http://singularsarah.com/2018/09/29/my-fellow-beachwalkers/

• Reply Susanne Swanson 3rd October 2018 at 1:04 am

Still not sure I need to add it here (in addition to the link in my post) but here it is just in case: 🙂 https://catsandtrailsandgardentales.com/2018/10/02/watching-and-waiting/